Sunday, January 8, 2012

well this is embarrasing...

Carson is already 2 months old and I haven't written on here since before he was born! Well let's just get started then, shall we?
We went in to get induced on Sunday November 6th. I don't know why my doc picked a Sunday but hey it worked. I was trying very hard not to freak out on the way there (nerves, excitement, nerves, get the idea.) so I called my mom and she calmed me down and told me everything I was feeling was normal and was pretty much what she went through on every trip to the hospital to deliver. THANKS MOM! :D Anyway so we got there for noon, got settled in our room and started the pitocin. Or whatever that drug that they give you to start labor is called. Then we sat around waiting for the doctor to decide to break my water. His wife had just had a baby and was going home that day so he was running back and forth between his house and the hospital. Finally, around 5 o'clock, he broke my water and the fun began! I can use "fun" because it's been a whole 2 months since I went through it *wink* Contractions started pretty much right away and our amazing nurse Tina was, well, amazing with helping me through them. I had terrible back labor with Ryder and barely tried to go without an epidural but this time around I wanted to give it a shot. John and I had taken a labor and delivery class before Ryder was born but I didn't really remember anything from it. When the Tina asked what my plans were for pain management I asked her about options I had. (It's amazing what a difference it makes the second time around! With Ryder I wouldn't have even know or thought to ask!) I brought it up that I was maybe possibly thinking about going without pain meds and she was right away super supportive. She listened to my fears (that I would be a sobbing, screaming, tv-like mess) and told me that she knew I could do it. She was seriously an amazing nurse, she told me that I could totally go without an epidural but left the decision up to me and didn't make me feel pressured to go without. After a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to try and go without. (Yikes!) When the contractions started getting worse, we got on the birthing ball --I say we because hauling my butt off the bed and onto the ball all the while dealing with contractions was a three person job let me tell ya-- and started breathing. I didn't remember any breathing techniques so Tina showed me the he-he-he-hooo way (or as John kept calling it the "three he's and a ho" way haha) and we went from there. John and Tina took turns massaging my back and both breathed through the contractions with me. When it got bad enough that I didn't want to talk in between the contractions I started getting a little cranky. Tina told me it was totally normal to reach a point where I didn't want to be touched and I didn't any talking going on because I needed silence to focus. Yep, I was there. So John and Tina stayed quiet and breathed with me and all the nurses that came and went spoke in whispers. A little part of my brain that was (obviously) not totally focused on breathing thought it was pretty cool that when I wanted silence, there was silence. I kinda felt like a queen. Until the next contraction came that is ;) About ten minutes after they broke my water I was dilated to 6-7cm (not hard when you started at a 5) and by 7:00 the contractions were one on top of the other so they checked me again. Still at a 6-7. Whew. I was grabbing John's hand so hard that I think I might have left a few bruises. Each time a contraction came I would just dig my fingers as hard as I could. Props to John because he just smiled and said I could hold on as hard as I wanted, which I did. What a great hubby I have :)  At this point it was hard for me to focus because I was so frustrated that I hadn't progressed at all and I wasn't getting any rest between contractions anymore. After a couple "I don't know if I can do this!" moments --at one point (the only time I was not too happy with him during my labor) John told me "You can do it. You don't need an epidural!". Grrr. Tina quickly stepped in with "You don't know how she's feeling. Try to be supportive no matter her decision." and in my head I was all "Yeah, TRY and be supportive" haha :) --anyway, after a couple "I don't know if I can do this!" moments I decided to get the epidural. Now, this being Sunday and all, the anesthesiologist was on call so they had warned me it would be take about 20 minutes for him to get here and then a bit more for him to get me ready and give me the epidural. When Tina stepped out to call the anesthesiologist another nurse mouthed to John that she didn't think there was time for me to get the epidural. I didn't know this until after, which might have been a good thing.  So I was just (barely) hanging on until the epidural came when, whoops, time to push! The nurses quickly hauled me onto the bed and checked me. Yep, time to go. They kept telling me not to push and to just breathe through it. I was none too happy about that. This was the most painful part. It seemed to go on forever and was the closest I came to totally losing it because um hello I need to push NOW and you won't let me! What horrible people! Lol :) I didn't know what was going on until after but at this point I was obviously going to have the baby any minute and my doctor wasn't there yet so they rushed the E.R. doctor up from downstairs so the nurses wouldn't have to deliver the baby. If I was a nurse I would have been telling me to breathe through it too. Back to me. I was kind of freaking out and losing focus in my attempt to not push and I even swore once. Oops. At least it was only one time ;) John said in between all my not-pushes I apologized for being mean. Haha I am such a polite person with even-keeled emotions :P Afterwards the nurses assured me I was nothing compared to most of their patients, which made me feel a little better. During my not-pushes a tiny easily-ignored part of me was telling the bigger not-so-easily-ignored part of me that I was acting like a two year old. Guess which part won? ;)

Finally a random (to me, he was actually the E.R. doc but I didn't know that and I didn't really care to question why he was there at the time either.) guy told me I could push. "Thank You!" That got a few chuckles from the nurses. Five --and yes I mean five-- pushes later Carson Paul Hyrkas was born! 8lbs 10oz 21inches at 7:44pm :) :) :)

And I was actually glad my doctor didn't make it to deliver me because I didn't really like him anyway.

That's all for today because the reason I haven't updated this blog in forever is crying and wants to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment