Saturday, February 4, 2012

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

..or something like that.
Does that even make sense? Idk. Anyway. My two-year-old just found a bag of M&Ms that I had hidden on myself and promptly forgot about (which is most likely why it was still hidden. Chocolate, even of the hidden variety, does not last long in this household). Needless to say, we are eating ourselves into a chocolate induced coma. Well he is, I am following the rules of me and my mom's Disney Diet and eating only one serving size. Did you know that one serving size of regular M&Ms is 1/4 cup? I did not know that either. You may be thinking to  yourself that 1/4 cup is actually a lot of M&Ms. I made the same mistake. I think in my head I overestimate the size of a 1/4 cup measuring cup. In my mind's eye I see what appears to be a 1/4 cup but is actually a 1/2 cup in disguise. Hence the need for the Disney Diet.. I have no portion control.

What is the Disney Diet you may ask? It's not nearly as exciting as it sounds. Well really diets never sound exciting but back to the point here.. my mom and I realized that since we are headed on a family vaca to Disney World this May (YAY!!) we have to be swimsuit-ready by then. By MAY! There a distinct possibility that there will still be snow up here in May. And since I have no real desire to be seen in a swimsuit in May all pastey white and out of shape and carrying those pesky extra pounds from pregnancy next to all the tanned Floridians (or let's face it, the untanned and burnt tourists because who really lives in Florida anyway besides old people) we started the Disney Diet. So really it's a regular old diet dressed up as something special since Disney World is involved and everyone loves Disney World. I love Disney World and I haven't even been there yet. BUT I will be there is a few months hopefully looking thinner and more in shape than I do now! Not much I can do about the pasteyness since fake tans aren't really my thing but hey.

Back to the original topic: No I didn't really let Ryder eat himself into a chocolate-induced coma mostly because I love my chocolate too much to let him eat it all and also because I love my child and care for his well-being. That should have come first. Haha um yeah

Life changing moment of the day: I read a blog post about door holding. It really did change my life. I now know that there is at least one other person in this world who holds doors open for people out of the kindness of their heart but also harbors extreme anxiety about this task. Does this person even want you to hold the door open for them? Will they appreciate it? Are they too far away so I end up standing here for an uncomfortable amount of time waiting for them just so they don't have to push the door open? Oh shoot they were too far away but now it's too late and I have to stand here like a moron and hold the door open for an uncomfortable amount of time because if I turn and run now the door will slam in their face. Oh double shoot because now they are hurrying to the door because they, too, have realized that I am holding the door for an uncomfortable amount of time and now they feel rushed and have to run when all along they were just mosy-ing their way through life at their own pace until someone (me) intervened and made them hurry and now they feel they are not the master of their own fate and will have to go to therapy for at least 12 years costing them thousands of dollars and making them lose their home, their firstborn child and their dignity. All because of me.
As you can see this is a very complicated act of kindness.
But after reading that blog post I have come to terns with my anxiety and am in the process of following her guidelines in avoiding the awkwardness. If any of you reading this blog (if there is actually anyone who reads this blog) are in the same door-holding boat as me then I highly suggest you read the blog. It's on HelloGiggles.com and it's written by Eliza Hurwitz and I don't really know how to direct you there because I read it from Facebook. But I'm sure you'll find it, that's what those handy dandy little search bars were invented for! And if you are not in the same boat as me you should still go read it and other blog posts by her because she is hilarious and I love her writing stye.
Oh I really am a moron.. you can just go to hellogiggles.com/elizahurwitz to see all her posts. I looked that up for you, aren't I helpful?

Both boys over here have RSV so we are pretty much stuck at home for the foreseeable future and I am going a little crazy. Yes this is a disclaimer ;-)

toodles :]

No comments:

Post a Comment